About the Cleanup
Zones & Sites
Results & Photos
I want to participate in year-round cleanups
To be kept informed of news and year-round cleanups, please join the ICCS Mailing List.
Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the form on the home page.
I want to do more
To find out more about hot to volunteer as a Site Buddy or Site Captain, see coastalcleanup.wordpress.com/volunteer
Advice for Participants
I: What to bring and wear?
II: Be safe!
- Wear shoes. No Slippers or sandals.
- Wear a cap and put on some sun-block lotion.(>SPF 15)
- Use insect repellent in case there are mosquitoes or sandflies
- Bring along a poncho or raincoat in case of rain.
- Bring at least 1litre of water.
- Get a data card and par of gloves from your organiser.
- Bring a camera to record an eventful day!
III: Be Green
- Keep away from any oil drums found. These may contain dangerous liquids or poisonous vapours. Just report the total no. and labels seen to the coordinator.
- Beware of where you step - broken glass, fishing hooks, syringes and other sharp objects have been found on some beaches. Some fish, like stingray and catfish, have a sharp spine.
- Always use your gloves to pick up things.
- Keep any bottles found closed, in case they contain a poison.
- Take care of your back! Work in pairs or groups to lift heavy things, and keep your back straight when you do so.
- Avoid entering bushy areas, as there may be hornet nests.
- When there is the threat of lightning and thunder, stop work immediately and seek shelter.
- Ensure you keep yourself well hydrated and drink enough water.
- Leave natural items alone on the beach These include driftwood, shells and coral, dead fish and crabs, mangrove seeds and seaweed.
- Don't pluck vegetation and avoid stepping beach grass and other plants and seedlings. These plants are part of the natural ecosystem and not only hold the sand and prevent erosion, but also provide wildlife with food and homes.
- Recycle used plastic bags to hold trash while you comb the beach. Old bags can be used, rather than use brand new plastic bags.
- Don't litter. You are there to help remove litter, not add more litter!
- Save a bottle. Bring along your own refillable water bottle.